You’re engaged! You have a date in mind… or maybe not yet. There can be a lot of excitement and creativity when planning and personalizing your northern New Jersey wedding to reflect your character, shared interests and lifestyle. Creating a singular event to facilitate and commemorate “When two become one” can be a complex vision, even in the culturally rich New York metro area. Some wedding couples find comfort and ease relying on established structures and familiar traditions. Others have found unique ways to celebrate with their personal twists on wedding day planning – out of the box isn’t out of the question for them.
Whether you’re more traditional or more eclectic, there are opportunities to influence tradition and add new ideas. Infusing your wedding with your personal touch can make a big difference in feeling that your day is created with just you and your new spouse in mind. Here are some ideas to jumpstart your brainstorm!
- Deck out a special car, motorcycle, bicycle, or childhood snow sled or scooter with flowers and decor elements from your theme. Arrange it near a floral garden or water feature — Brooklake has over 30 acres of lush and lavish landscaping — and prop a welcome sign against it for fabulous photo opps and conversation starters.
- If you’re using dinner menu cards to tell guests what to expect, add a little blurb about why you chose a particular dish, “Sea Bass — in honor of Steve’s love of deep-sea fishing,” or “Southwestern Station – because we met while both working at Moe’s!”
- Consider using a unique QR code on a placard at each table that brings guests not only to the menu but all sorts of other details about the wedding day – from the name of the band and playlist, to where you’re going for the afterparty. Electronic options can also save printing costs.
- Arrange an “In Memory of…” table with photos, collectibles, and other small items that honor loved ones you’ll be missing.
- Nearby also have a childhood table to introduce your younger selves and memories to guests who may not have known you back then, or find commonalities in your childhoods, such as when both of you attended your first sports game or sang in school chorus. Some photographers and venues, Brooklake included, can work with state of the art AV systems to project photos in real time at your event.
- Include songs that resonate for both of you throughout your day – not just your first dance. Talk with your music provider and have a song for many moments, one during your first look, one you walk down the aisle to, another for your introduction into the reception, another to set a fun mood for bridal party photos, and ambient playlist in the couples suites while everyone’s readying.
My husband and I got married at Brooklake in October 2021 and we could not have had a more perfect day! After looking at many venues, we decided to book Brooklake and work with Peter, their catering director, as we really felt he would help us with every step of the planning process. From starting with our table setting options to finishing with what color lights we wanted in the ballroom, Peter helped us make every decision. He thoughtfully provided a million checklists and ideas so that we were sure to have every aspect covered. Peter and his team did a great job of walking us through the day of as well, making sure that we didn’t miss a single thing. The food was delicious, the venue was beautiful, the waitstaff was wonderful – thank you for the most perfect day!
– Julie J., on The Knot
An afternoon reading real wedding stories will bring many special ideas into your possibilities. Making them a reality without a lot of stress comes from an open partnership with your wedding venue event planner. Contact a Brooklake Event Specialist to tap into our years of experience and caring approach and create your most special day.